Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 2000 23:40:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        pW <packetwhore@stargate.net>
Cc:        John Howie <JHowie@msn.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw:      NAPTHA Advisory Updated - BindView RAZOR

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, pW wrote:

> If I am interpreting this the wrong way, I apologize in advance... You
> seem awfully eager to point out FreeBSD weaknesses... I notice the msn
> address and the fact that you got this from an NT security list. Well,
> while FreeBSD or ANY OS is perfect, FreeBSD seems to be good enough to run
> Hotmail's web servers and mail servers... something that couldn't be done
> with NT... hmmm.... just thought I would point that out before you take
> too much satisfaction from a FreeBSD weakness...
>
> pW

Despite the oldness of the info contained in the advisory, I don't see a
problem in John reposting it here.  As other have stated, there is the
possibility that FreeBSD could handle resource exhaustion better, and the
information in the advisory could be useful in testing those improvements.

If you believe so strongly in the divine nature of FreeBSD, you should be
posting how the attack postulated in the advisory is false, or posting
patches that fix the problem.

Belittling Microsoft products doesn't solve anything.  (Especially
considering that Microsoft is transitioning hotmail over to w2k now.)

Mike "Silby" Silbersack