Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 10:33:10 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@mail.HiWAAY.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, nick@dcs.shef.ac.uk
Subject:   Re:  Removing Patch from Kernel

> I have just installed the 2.2.2. release on a machine and applied a
> patch on it.
> If I wanted to remove the patch, would I have to reistall the whole
> system or else
> how could I possibly simply install a clean version of the Kernel?

Presumably you patched something under /usr/src/sys/? Not /usr/src/?
/usr/src/sys is where the kernel stuff lies and if you want to undo
your changes you can simply "rm -rf /usr/src/sys" and extract the
originals from your CD's. Then build and install the new kernel.

A quicker way is to look and see what kernels you have laying around
in root:

PeeCee: {1101} ls -l /kern*
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1240454 Sep 23 13:59 /kernel*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1457189 Oct 24  1997 /kernel.GENERIC*
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1194629 Jun  1 10:58 /kernel.old*
PeeCee: {1102}

I forget how much of the above is my convention and how much is
FreeBSD convention but I think kernel.GENERIC is Jordan's default
installed kernel. If you have something like that laying around
you can simply mv kernel out of the way and rename/copy an old
kernel in its place. You can also boot these other kernels
directly from BootEasy (thats why I leave 'em laying around, if
the new kernel is broken the others are available to boot).

You'll have to read chflags(1) to learn how to unlock your kernel
file(s) for renaming, removing, and etc.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net (hm)