Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:01:24 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Larry McVoy's slides on cache coherent clusters

Terry Lambert wrote:
> Julian Elischer wrote:
> > Not "overly impressed" is not quite accurate..
> >
> > "not sure that it was relevant to us" is more to the point
> >
> > He was against making the system scale to N processors where N is a large
> > number, stating that if corrupted the system too much to have
> > such fine grained locking, and that such large-scale
> > MP situations should be achieved with clusters of "Small-N"
> > machines, connected together by higher level constructs.
> >
> > I did take some mental notes from the meeting.
> > e.g. "make sure we don't make our kernel TOO fine grained.
>
> You should read the slides at http://www.bitmover.com/cc-pitch/ ;
> it should take you all of four minutes, if you skip the loading
> of the picture in slide 29, or if you have a fast link.

Yes, he does make a good case, and the dangers that he talks about are one
of the things that we keep in mind.  We made a concious decision to avoid
going crazy with locks.  We are not targeting 10,000 cpu systems (4 or even
8 would be really nice though as long as it isn't too expensive).
Clustering or the SSI as he describes would also be nice to have, but we do
not have sufficient active developer resources to throw at it yet.

Having said that, let the paper speak for itself.  Otherwise we'll be
arguing acronyms and trying to classify system designs etc for weeks.
Less talking and more doing would be much better.

Cheers,
-Peter