Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 22:46:03 +0300
From:      Ruslan Shevchenko <Ruslan@Shevchenko.Kiev.UA>
To:        Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
Cc:        kris@airnet.net, David Shanes <dshanes@personalogic.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

Mark Mayo wrote:

> 2. Documentation. The Design and Implementation of 4.4BSD book. The ORA
>    BSD document set (PSD, USD, etc.). The literally hundreds of USENIX
>    and IEEE research papers presented on BSD related design, etc..
>    Superior man pages for system calls. It's hard for a pedagogically
>    oriented prof to argue when you slap about 5000 pages of BSD docs
>    on his desk and demand that he produce the same for Linux.

  But Linux have better user-level documentation, then we.

(How-to pages).

In principle, if FreeBSD plan to concurate with Linux,
than exist few areas, in which bazzar style is better than
cafedral.

  1. User-level documentation.
     How about creating a set of How-to documents , as linux
     have, linked from www.freebsd.org, which cover
     topics, which are not belong to FAQ and Handbook.
     (tuning X11, Oracle-on-FreeBSD, etc)

  2. Ports.
     How about:
     1. indexing uncomeeted ports, which live in queue,
        and make it accessible throught www.freebsd.org.
        (Personlly I stop sending send-pr about my ports,
         after two my ports was leave in queue more then
         year).
     2. Creating categorized set of links to Applicatons,
       which run on FreeBSD, writeln for FreeBSD, etc, but
       ports for ones may be not exists in ports collection.

About "Linux is enemy": I think not.

  I think that it is possible to positionate Linux as good
replacement for Windows95, FreeBSD as good replacement for NT.

3. And for pity, actual programming on C++ now is better do on
Linux or SCO than on FreeBSD.
for example, for Linux exists 3 or 2 commercical C++ compilers,
for FreeBSD --- none.

all CORBA ports in ports collection are very old.

Creating bazzar-style ports collection can help a little in
this situation.

--

    @=
     //RSSH                              mailto:Ruslan@Shevchenko.Kiev.UA