Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2012 19:15:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail and Postfix

> From owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org  Fri Jun 22 13:47:20 2012
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 13:41:46 -0500
> From: Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>
> Subject: Re: Sendmail and Postfix
>
> When you installed Postfix did you allow it to update the entries in
> /etc/mail/mailer.conf ? If so, I wouldn't worry about the mailq binary
> that came with the system; it's ignored.

For SendMail, mailq is just a symlink to the SendMail executable.

the "mail.conf" stuff (to use a polite word) installs it's own executable(s)
under all the 'common' names that SendMail is invoked as.  These
executables look at /etc/mailer.conf, and invoke the appropiate executable
for the mailer that you have seleccted in mailer.conf.