Date:      Sun, 11 Oct 1998 21:32:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 2nd stupidiest thing I could ever do.

Great, I think I'll get over this catastrophy. More below...

On Sun, 11 Oct 1998, Jason C. Wells wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Oct 1998, BEAUPRE Antoine wrote:
> >Believe it or not, I just did newfs /dev/wd0s2 . wd0s2 is where FreeBSD is
> >on my system... Now the root partition is gone, and I only hope that the
> >others are still there... I think so because newfs took about one or 2
>
> I just saw this. There may be more you can do.
>
> The other filesystems should still be there. Are you certain that you did
> not newfs /dev/wd0s2c (the entire slice) ?

I remember clearly having typed "newfs /dev/wd0s2",I mismatched a 4 for a
2. (aaaaargh! Never run as root kids!)

Not quite sure. But as I said, the output of newfs was obvious: it may
have removed the / partition, but surely didn't have time to get to the
others. Maybe it just remove the entries of the /usr, /var and /proc
partitions...

> Do you have the source on your system? If so, it is in /usr/src. You can
> reinstall source if you can just get a bootable kernel. You will need some
> build tools. I don't know if boot.flp has cc and such.

Hmmm. I tried the install floppy and the only shell I was able to have was
the "emergency holographic shell". But maybe the fixit floppy should have
these kinda tools. Maybe someone could send me some binaries? My system
is a 227Release. If so, what should/could be included in the panic floppy?

(my try:
-ppp
-mount
-ls
-sh?
-cc/gcc
-make?
-???
I may need a lota stuff from /bin and /sbin... If I can only get to mount
/usr, it will be all right (i hope!).

> When re-newfsing the root partition ensure that it does not run into the
> next partition.

Good!

> Have you done a recent "make world"? If so, all of your binarries are
> already there. You can just do "make installworld" with out building.

Damn. I _made_ a make world recently... But I removed /usr/obj!!! (Is that
where the binaries are?) I was managing disk space, and moving some stuff
around, particularly making a new partition, hence the newfs...

But the make world was fast enough... :)

> Maybe I am stretching, but you should be able to get that partition back
> without clobbering the others. If you can get the right compile tools you
> can pull off a 'make world' to reinstall.

What exactly will I need?

> (I have never done any of this. :) Here is a grain of salt. )

No problem. I'm fresh out of options right now, I'll take this grain. :)

Thanks!

|  Free the world from businessmen  |
|   Free yourself from your money   |