Date:      Mon, 02 Jul 2001 19:17:23 +0100
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@freeloader.freeserve.co.uk>
To:        Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>
Cc:        "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: make kernel is broken on ipfilter (4.3-STABLE)

Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:

> At 01/07/2001, you wrote:
> > > So to summarize:
> > > 1) This kernel on a 4.3-RELEASE (updated to 4.3-STABLE) installed from a
> > > 4.3 cdrom doesn't build with the :
> > > make KERNCONF=FREEBSD buildkernel
> > >
> > > And it exit with the error:
> > >
> > > 2) The same box (Portege 3440) is able to build and install without any
> > > problem the GENERIC in the same way:
> > > make KERNCONF=GENERIC buildkernel
> > >
> > > 3) The same box can build and install this kernel using the old way.
> > >
> > > 4) A box installed from a 4.2 cdrom, the cvsupped to 4.3-STABLE build the
> > > kernel just fine.
> > >
> >grep required /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC
> >
> >--
> >ian j hart
>
> Uhm !?!??! What does your answer mean ? :-)
> Can you please explain better ?
>
> Thanks a lot ...
>
> Best Regards,
> Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
> http://www.giovannelli.it/~gmarco
> http://www2.masternet.it

Some kernel device lines are required. Some options require other
options.
You appear to be missing scbus. This may not be the cause of your
problem
but you need to fix this or _wierd stuff will happen_ (TM).

So, why didn't I just say this? Well, the required devices/options
change.
For this reason you should check against the required devices/options
for
the snapshot you are trying to build. Since GENERIC should always build
this is a good place to look.

Provided no-one breaks the style the supplied grep should do the job. No
doubt there are numerous alternate ways to do this. Try searching the
archives.

HTH

--
ian j hart