Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 2002 15:58:14 -0800
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: __sF

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 06:36:31PM -0500, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Nov 2002, Steve Kargl wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 06:15:09PM -0500, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> > > This isn't the case for one piece of vendor software that I'm not allowed
> > > to talk about.
> >
> > See the new WANT_COMPAT4_STDIO make.conf knob.
>
> This won't be acceptable as the vender will likely not be producing a
> separate 5.0 build (ie the same build needs to run on both.) until 4.x is
> EOLed.  Forcing people to rebuild libc seems a high barrier to entry.

Maybe I misunderstand you.  But, a person running FreeBSD 5.x,
who wants to runs this vendor's 4.x software, will need to
build their libc with WANT_COMPAT4_STDIO defined if this
product needs to see __sF.

This is my exact problem.  I have NAG's Fortran 95 compiler,
which was built for FreeBSD 4.2.  I ran it on 5.0 without a
problem until __sF was made static.  NAG may never release
a 5.x version of their compiler because it may not be cost
effective.  This is a compromise to move forward with the
elimination of the visibility of __sF.

--
Steve