Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 15:29:09 -0400
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        David Calkins <david_calkins@hotmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA network card

David Calkins stated:
: I am trying to setup FreeBSD 4 on my laptop.  I have a LinkSys EC2T PCMCIA
: network card.  After doing some digging I learned that I should be able to
: use the 'ed' driver since my card is compatible with the NE2000.
:
: I've tried many different kernel configurations, with no success.  Most
: examples deal with isa network cards.
:
: If anyone has this working, I would appreciate it if you could send the
: appropriate lines of your kernel config file so I can figure out the format
: and args.  obviously the specific resources wouldn't match, but it would
: help me.

David-

This card should just work.  Although, it is hard to tell waht is
going on without any additional information from you.  Of particular
interest are

1) dmesg output

Look to see if you have any irq issues and what the exact version of
FreeBSD you are using (4.0-RELEASE, 4.0-STABLE, 4.1-RELEASE, etc)

2) kernel config

See if things are done OK.  I recommend the following settings:

options PNPBIOS

# PCCARD support in polling mode  (to free up an irq)
device	card
device	pcic0 at isa?

# NE2000 clones
device ed

(this will allow it to be probed as ed0)

3) rc.conf settings

pccardd_flags=""
pccard_enable="YES"
pccard_ifconfig="DHCP"

or

pccard_ifconfig="inet abc.def.ghi.jkl netmask 255.255.255.0"

sysinstall sometimes gives bad choices with regard to pccardd_flags.
You shoud add "-i X -i Y -i Z"  where X, Y, Z are free IRQ's that you
wish to be used for pccards (this overrides the irq entries in
/etc/defaults/pccard.conf).

Hope this helps,
Sean O'Connell                                       sean@stat.Duke.EDU