Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 01:28:06 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI Advansys controller...

Zach Heilig scribbled this message on Sep 16:
> There is a place in town that has a couple of PCI AdvanSys cards it wants to
> get rid of.  I happen to be in the market for a couple PCI scsi cards.  The
> salesman pointed me to a file on the AdvanSys ftp server
> (ftp://ftp.advansys.com/pub/freebsd/freebsd.txt, dated 1/16/97) that noted ISA
> support was supposed to be done and PCI support was near completion.  And, are
> these cards junk? (the ones he wants to sell are 930AU, I think).
>
> Which version of FreeBSD has this?  It must be -current, since a grep of LINT
> doesn't show any matches for advansys in 2.2-stable.

currently.. the only version is the one that uses Justin Gibb's CAM
scsi code that will soon replace the current code.. once that is done,
then the driver for the cards will be included, (correct me if I remeber
wrong Justin)...

> This same store has two Symbios 53c875 based cards on back-order for me, but
> they would cancel that order, if I got those AdvanSys cards.
>
> How good of trade would that be (the Advansys cards are about half the price
> of the Symbios cards, $80 vs. $150).  I know the Symbios chip has the scripts
> memory, and can offload some of the work from the host CPU, but exactly how
> much of a win is that?

Justin will have to answer this question.. but I am looking forward to
the time that FreeBSD does support them, as my supplier has the Advansys
cards, but doesn't have any of the ncr based cards...

ttyl..

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD