Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 2015 15:12:43 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Logging TCP anomalies

In message <A83FB715-936E-4A43-AE2D-E76C32D0F7DE@mac.com>,
Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com> wrote:

>On Apr 27, 2015, at 11:37 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg@tristatelogic.com> wrot
>e:
>> and/or whether FreeBSD provides any options which,
>> for example, might automagically trigger a close of the relevant TCP
>> connection when and if such an event is detected.  (Connection close
>> seems to me to be one possible mitigation strategy, even if it might
>> be viewed as rather ham-fisted by some.)
>
>You need to be able to distinguish normal dup packets

Yes.

As I understand it, (verbatim) duplicate packets can sometimes arrive at
an endpoint due simply to network anomalies.  However as I understand it,
those will typically have identical lengths and payloads.  If I read that
news article correctly, then the spoofed packets at issue will have the
same sequence numbers as legit ones, but different lengths and/or payloads.

It seems simple enough to detect instances when two packets with the
exact same sequence number but different lengths arrive at a given
endpoint in immediate proximity (in time).

>For that matter, an attacker could try to spoof
>legit connections and your countermeasure would presumably zap the legit
>connection.

Doesn't that reduce down to essentially the problem of guessing TCP
sequence numbers?

My understanding is that that is a fundamentally hard problem.  (I hope
so anyway.)  And thus, the probability of what you just suggested
approaches zero.

If I'm wrong, then I would be more than happy to be corrected/enlightened.

Regards,
rfg