Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2012 12:06:46 -0400
From:      Dan Plassche <dplassche@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 1.x Binaries Work Except under Chroot

Hello,

I'm successfully running FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 binaries from a
directory on an 8.2 system.  The goal is to ultimately setup a
chroot build environment targeting 1.x for an old 386.  However,
whenever I chroot to the /freebsd-1.1.5.1 directory tree, the old
binaries suddenly start failing with linker error messages such
as this one: "ld.so: whereis: libc.so.1.1".

I've tried to run ldconfig (static old and new versions) on
clean copies of /freebsd-1.1.5.1 to correct the problem.  Each
copy of the tree has libc.so.1.1 under /usr/lib and the full
/usr/lib/compat/aout (just in case).

Running the old ldconfig with the -v flag against both library
directories shows the libraries added and produces a new
/var/run/ld.so.hints file.  Running that same old ldconfig with
-r shows "2:-lc.1.1 => /usr/lib/libc.so.1.1 (9-> -1)" but the
binaries still fail in the chroot.

The same process with the 8.2 ldconfig (after copying
in /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 and /lib/libc.so.7 to make it
work) also fails to resolve the problem after creating the
aout /var/run/ld.so.hints file for /usr/lib/* and the elf
/var/run/ld-elf.so.hints file for /lib.

Would anyone have a suggestion please?  The setup outside of the
chroot works with the 1.x compat libraries combines with a kernel
compiled with the compat options and PID_MAX set to 3000.

Thank you,

Dan Plassche

--
Dan Plassche