Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 1997 14:19:14 +0100
From:      Ian Vaudrey <IVaudrey@nemko.ltd.uk>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is X installed?

Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * However, I've since decided that it might be better to have a separate
>  * port for makedepend, the Cyrus port would then just require a
>  * BUILD_DEPENDS line, I think. I have put together a port and it's at
>  :
>  * Have I gone in the right general direction?
>
> Yes.  By the way, do you know that FreeBSD comes with /usr/bin/mkdep?
> It may be easier to just modify the port to use it instead.
>
> Satoshi

I think that would take a lot of work. The makedepend lines in the Cyrus
makefiles all end *.c and so check all the source files in their
directory for dependencies, even if they are only conditionally included
in the build. For example there are two password checking routines in
separate source files, one for SVR4 type systems and one for BSD type
systems. Regardless of the fact that only one of these will/can be
compiled on any given system, makedepend parses both. This results in
warning messages from makedepend, which is not nice to look at but is
just about acceptable. Unfortunately these translate into fatal errors
when mkdep is substituted in.

I'll submit the port as is. Many thanks for your input.

 - Ian