Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 1995 16:22:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steven G Kargl  <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        phk@ref.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com (FreeBSD)
Subject:   Re: install compressed binary patch

According to Poul-Henning Kamp:

>     1. The patch.  You shouldn't need to fork a process to make the
>     symlink, but then again, you shouldn't need the symlink in the
>     first place ?

Whoops,  I have misunderstood how your psuedo-device has worked since,
well..., since I've used it.  Damn, I better look closer at the system.
I was under the impression that a symlink was mandatory to tell the
kernel that the binary was compressed.  Well, I guess I can remove the
sym link part.

>     2. I'm not sure it makes much sense to do it in the first place.
>
> Let me explain what I mean.  On any machine capable of doing a make world,
> you should not need to used gzip bin's on a large scale.

My 350 MB FreeBSD partition was at one time capable of make world, but
lately I have to remove /usr/local before a build.  We seem to be adding
more to FreeBSD than removing:)

> Wouldn't you gain more diskspace if you told cc(1) about ".gz" files for
> instance ?  source compress better than binary I'd expect...

Actually, make world was a (poor?) example.  But, consider the installation
on a production machine of some of the ports.  The binary for Octave was over
4 MB before compression.  With `gzip -9', the binary is around 750 KB.  I get
similar compression for other large binaries.

The `-z' would be useful perhaps for XFree86 where the site.def(?) file allows
one to specify the install program and install flags (if i recall correctly).
Then, you can automatically have X built with compressed binaries.

> Now THERE'S a project:
>
> Take a copy of the "nullfs", and call it "gzipfs", and it's perfectly OK
> if it can only mount read-only.
> The only difference from nullfs should be that if the file
> when read contains a "gzip" header, you uncompress it on the fly...
> The "inflate" code is already in the kernel...
>
> Poul-Henning,
> (trying to lure another innocent victim into kernel-hacking...)

More like naive victim.  This is my first attempt at actually missing up
my src tree.  I read -hacker, -current, and cvs-all, but I am a complete
idiot when it comes to kernel stuff.  Maybe someday.

--
Steven G. Kargl            | Phone: 206-685-4677 |
Applied Physics Laboratory | Fax:   206-543-6785 |