Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2017 20:07:37 +0100
From:      Kurt Jaeger <lists@opsec.eu>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dr=2E_Jochen_Ra=DFler?= <jochen.rassler@gmail.com>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: openjfx8-devel future question

Hi!

> I'm quite new to FreeBSD on the one hand an the gradle build tool on the
> other hand. (And gradle is what is used by openjfx)
>
> What I understood currently is that gradle downloads the dependencies
> only for building the package. To run a application, the dependencies
> have to be installed,

So the dependencies have to be defined as RUN_DEPENDS in the port Makefile.

> otherwise the application will crash with some
> exceptions (in case of Java). So there seems to be a difference between
> FreeBSD ports and dependencies to the build process.

The ports system knows different types of dependencies (LIB_, RUN_, BUILD_
etc)

> Why does the ports system not build and install the dependencies firstly
> and use those installed packages for the further build process?

Depends on the port -- sometimes the port maintainer did not specify
all the dependencies in a proper manner. Sometimes, some dependencies
are not needed in every use case, so they are marked optional.

There are many different reasons how this can be resolved.

--
pi@opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                         3 years to go !