Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 11:33:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        steven wesley wilson <swwilso1@students.uiuc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Supported Hardware in FreeBSD

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, steven wesley wilson wrote:

> I need advice on two things:
>
> 1.  I'm considering buying a celeron 266 cpu with an Abit BX6 motherboard.
> Will FreeBSD run with this cpu/board combo?
>
> 2.  If I get item 1. I'll eventually want an AGP video board.  Would
> someone please recommend an AGP that works well with XFree86.

Even though the -hardware list was probably relevant to this
discussion, I cut it out.  Crossposting is bad. :-)

Anyway, is there any particlar reason you want a Celeron processor?
Those have no L2 cache, and performance can suffer badly.  The Celeron
was meant to be bought by people who had no idea what it was missing.

As for AGP, if you already have a decent PCI video card, _Don't
Bother_. IMHO, AGP is a bunch of f%$#n hype and a waste of motherboard
space where a nice PCI slot could have gone.  PCI was doing just fine
for video and I can't imagine any situation where the theoretical
increase in bandwidth would help in the real world.  Unfortunately you
can't buy most motherboards these days without an AGP slot, unless it
was designed for a server.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
/* FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and compatibles (SPARC and Alpha under development)
   (http://www.freebsd.org)                                         */