Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 15:10:20 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Markus Holmberg <saska@acc.umu.se>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: moused problems

>I've had a problem with moused for a while now, which is that there seems
>to be a race condition if it will work or not.
>
>I load moused like this: "moused -p /dev/mouse -t intellimouse"
>
>When it doesn't work, I simply don't get any response by moving the mouse.
>This happens about 1/3 of the times when I boot. It usually helps to kill
>-9 moused and try to reload it a few times (up to 10 times).
>
>I have checked that the hardware is ok, and it works fine in Windows NT.
>
>One thing that especially quizzes me is that the mouse always correctly
>detects the mouse type (intellimouse) when running "moused -p /dev/mouse
>-i all", even immediately before and after I try to (re)start moused
>without success.

Then, you should run moused as:

	moused -p /dev/mouse -t auto

So long as "moused -p /dev/mouse -i all" runs fine, moused should run
fine with "-t auto".

When you connect a mouse to the PS/2 mouse port, you should always use
"-t ps/2" or "-t auto".  All other protocol types are for serial mice.

If your mouse is connected to a serial port and the mouse is not
a PnP mouse, you must specify a protocol type.  If the mouse does
support the PnP specification, you can use "-t auto" and all should be
fine.  As "moused -p /dev/mouse -i all" works, your serial mouse
supports the PnP spec, you should just use "-t auto".

Please read the man page for moused(8).

Kazu