Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 12:48:35 -0400
From:      "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <metcalf@snet.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Q: How do I run remote xterms on my local X11 server??

Sorry about the last message
(I removed the NOSPAM. but
I guess I had to restart the
Netscape Mail client)

Hello,

I was hoping someone could give me direction on
my problem.  I have X11R6 installed on my
FreeBSD machine and I would like to run
X applications (xterm, etc) from a remote
machine having them appear on my monitor.

I have a dynamically assigned IP address over
PPP with and ISP (28.8 modem so I know it'll
be slow).  Apparently setting the DISPLAY
environment variable in my remote telnet
session wasn't enough.  When I attempt
to start an xterm remotely, I get

Xlib: Cannot connect to remote server: permission denied.

I guess I have some more setting up to do ( xauth ??)
among other things.  However, I found the manpages
inadequate and there is no FAQ on this at www.XFree86.org

Can anyone describe which steps I am missing??  I presume
that what I am attempting to do is possible.

Thank You for any help,

JM

Jeffrey M. Metcalf
metcalf@snet.net