Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 96 09:41:00 PDT
From:      Duncan Barclay <Duncan.Barclay@pa-consulting.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   undocumented kernel priority changing

Hi

Does anyone know why the following is not documented (either in the
nice, renice, or getrlimit pages, and not in the 4.4 "daemon" book)

in kern_synch.c (2.1.0R, havent had time to put on 2.1.5R)
mi_switch()
     /*
         * Check if the process exceeds its cpu resource allocation.
         * If over max, kill it.  In any case, if it has run for more
         * than 10 minutes, reduce priority to give others a chance.
         */
                if (s > 10 * 60 && p->p_ucred->cr_uid && p->p_nice == NZERO)
{
                        p->p_nice = NZERO + 4;
                        resetpriority(p);
                }

It took me a while to figure out what was nicing my processes (would you
believe it, one was an editor!). Whilst I acknowledge that a lot of people
wont
see this happening it is rather annoying to have it and it being not
documented (unlesws I missed it).

Shoot me if you will but a couple of config options may not go amiss, at
least for single/few user sites. I will plonk them in sometime soon.

Cheers

Duncan Barclay