Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 22:09:20 -0500
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: QPL license question

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 08:23:18AM +0530, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
# Steve Price said on Aug 20, 2000 at 21:43:14:
# >
# > That's what I surmised.  One more question if I may.  Let's suppose
# > I have an application that links against a set of proprietary libraries
# > and libqt.  I need to release the source for the 'controller' app under
# > the QPL, but does it infect the proprietary source and require me to
# > release the code to it as well?
#
# I have no idea.  IANAL...
# I guess it would be safer not to do this.  The GPL does make an
# exception for proprietary libraries which are a standard part of an
# operating system, and my guess is Qt should allow it too since it is
# used on commercial unix systems.  I think they would not want you
# to use any other kind of proprietary library, since otherwise people
# could simply put all their interesting stuff in a closed-source library
# and link it with a very minimal open source program...  but I don't
# know what the legal position here is.

*grin* That was sort of a rhetorical question.  When I replied I was
musing to myself that if the 'infection' thing was true (and would
standup in court) then all I need to do is write a program for Win*,
link it against every .dll on the box, and when someone asks me for
the source code to those just point them in to that company in
Redmond. :)

Come to think of it this would be a good way to get the source for
just about any software running on any OS.  Nah, that would never
standup in court.

-steve