Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 00:33:38 -0500
From:      "John C. Place" <jcplace@attglobal.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where is ssh & JDK

On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 12:19:51AM -0500, Don Croyle wrote:
> The CDs don't include an ssh package because the US government doesn't
> like people to use strong crypto, and barring the export of it (even
> when it was imported originally) makes it slightly harder to obtain
> and use.  There's also the RSA patent issue.

Ahh, I should have seen that coming, leave it to the Govt. to make things
more dificult for the guys with the "white hats" :-)

> JDK isn't included because "License doesn't allow distribution with
> fee".

Hmmm I never knew that, is it JDK that has that restriction or Java itself?

> Both can easily be built from the ports collection.

I agree ssh is not bad, but because of it's size JDK is a bit of a monster,
(in size) the last time I checked.

At any rate thanks for the quick & consice response (less than 2 hours).

Take care
John

jcplace@attglobal.net