Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2013 20:39:12 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: translate INVARIANTS to DEBUG for code from OpenSolaris

On Jul 29, 2013, at 12:25 PM, Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk> =
wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Andriy Gapon" <avg@FreeBSD.org>
>=20
>> [zfs-devel@, fs@, dtrace@ are Bcc-ed]
>> In OpenSolaris and its descendants DEBUG is used in a fashion similar =
to our
>> INVARIANTS.  For example, ASSERT macros are enabled by it.
>> In our kernel code DEBUG has a different meaning and enables far too =
verbose or
>> far too obscure code and, as such, it is very rarely enabled.
>> The idea of a change that I would like to propose is to translate =
INVARIANTS
>> kernel option into DEBUG for the files that originated from =
OpenSolaris (and
>> hopefully only for them).
>> The change:
>>   opensolaris code: translate INVARIANTS to DEBUG and ZFS_DEBUG
>>   do this by forcing inclusion of
>>   sys/cddl/compat/opensolaris/sys/debug_compat.h
>>   via -include option into all source files from OpenSolaris.
>>   Note that this -include option must always be after -include =
opt_global.h.
>>   Additionally, remove forced definition of DEBUG for some modules =
and fix
>>   their build without DEBUG.
>>   Also, meaning of DEBUG was overloaded to enable WITNESS support for =
some
>>   OpenSolaris (primarily ZFS) locks.  Now this overloading is removed =
and
>>   that use of DEBUG is replaced with a new option =
OPENSOLARIS_WITNESS.
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~avg/osol-invariants-debug.diff
>> I would like to ask for your feedback on the soundness of the whole =
idea.
>> Also on the name, location and style of inclusion for
>> sys/cddl/compat/opensolaris/sys/debug_compat.h.
>> And on any other details of the proposed change.
>> Testing is also welcome, of course.
>> Thank you very much.
>=20
> I'm not sure you need #define ZFS_DEBUG as its already a dependency on
> DEBUG see:
> sys/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs/sys/zfs_debug.h
>=20
> Should this connection be broken and INVARIANTS only trigger DEBUG by
> default? One potential reason for this distinction is that ZFS_DEBUG =
brings
> with it some potentially quite heavy weight validation such as =
dnode_verify.

I would prefer to have INVARIANTS enable all of the ZFS invariant code, =
not
just the asserts.  Folks already know that INVARIANTS means (sometimes
quite significantly) lower performance.  This is a small price to pay =
for catching
defects before a release.

--
Justin=