Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2006 13:00:30 +0530
From:      "shankar" <shankar@dhanalakshmi.org>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Commercial Software

Hi,

I quote you from your page:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/contributing/index.html
"Commercial entities engaged in FreeBSD-related enterprises are also
encouraged to contact us. "

I am a software writer, my website is http://www.shankar-software.org
I want to port my business software to other operating systems.  Linux
seemed
the obvious first choice.  After studying it for the past one month I am
completely
vexed by the gnu licenses covering their glibc libraries.  It seems that if
I want
to port my software to linux, I have to write my own libc libraries (which
is a highly
time consuming effort) or not-object to giving my software under terms that
almost
strips me of all rights.  Some of the frustrating aspects of the LGPL terms
are:
a) I must allow the end user to modify my work for "their own use" (should
picasso
allow the buyers of his paintings to alter it if it doesn't suit their
taste?)
b) I must allow reverse engineering for debugging even if source is not
provided.
(should or would an artist allow his artwork to be "corrected" by his
customers?)

I want to port my software to the freebsd os. Now my question to you are
these.
1) Can I keep my software closed source, proprietary?
2) Do you have any C library that will ease the porting of my software to
freebsd
that I can statically link to, which is not covered by LGPL or any such
nonsense.

After the royal treatment that we commercial developers receive under
windows,
entering other oses seem prohibitively time consuming because:
1) Commercial interests are discouraged.  One linux user said if I copy
protect my
system, I will have no takers under linux.  So I said fine, linux then does
not need me
I will go where I am welcome and where I am allowed to protect my interests.
The
price of anything depends on its need.  If my software is very much needed
people
will take it even if it is closed source and proprietary and copy protected.
After all
there are a lot of buyers for my closed source, proprietary, copy protected
windows
version of my software.  If it is not needed then people will not take it
even if it is
free and open source.  Ask business users about their ERP source code
customization
project disasters and if they still would like to have the source code.
They will vehemently
say no.  They want software that will work, that will solve their headaches,
that will
solve their problems.  All these does not necessarily come with free source
code.

The popularity of an operating system depends on the number
of applications (commercial or otherwise) that are available for it.
Microsoft
understands this very very well.  When windows 3.0 was released Bill Gates
rolled in
a big trolley full of software packages that would run on windows 3.0 on to
the stage.  That
led to the success of windows 3.0 where windows 1.0 and windows 2.0 failed
due to
lack of applications on it.

2) Porting help like libraries, programming documentation like MSDN is next
to non
existent or are most difficult to find.

3) There is no Platform SDK complete with all libraries, compilers, header
files that
encourages developers without stripping them naked.  In fact the windows
operating
system is itself one huge library with thousands of functions that we can
call directly.
Compared to that huge library of functions, glibc libraries and even the
entire
linux system seems pitiful, in addition to being unusable by commercial
entities.

Please let me know if you have a c library for interacting with your
operating system
that is under the BSD license or something similar.   Let me know even if it
is still
under development, maybe I can lend an helping hand with its completion.

Shankar