Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 15:46:24 -0600
From:      "Aron Silverton" <ajs@labs.mot.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>, David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.berkeley.edu>, Yann Golanski <yann@kierun.org>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mozilla window won't open after upgrade - FIXED

Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :I did the same with fontconfig and now it works for me as well!
> :
> :Thanks,
> :
> :Aron
>
>     I had similar problems but reinstalling fontconfig did not do the trick.
>     I also attempted to recompile and reinstall libXft, which didn't work,
>     then recompiled mozilla from scratch... and that didn't work either.
>
>     What's interesting is that mozilla died in several different places.
>     It began by dying in fontconfig.  When I rebuilt fontconfig it died
>     in Xft.  When I rebuilt Xft it died in its javascript submodule.
>
>     Portupgrade upgraded about half of the required packages in -fR mode
>     but died trying to install libiconv on a stale file in /usr/X11.
>     However, once I got those glitches worked out and the entire ports
>     tree dependancy rebuilt (in force mode, whether a package was up-to-date
>     or not)... *THEN* rebuilt mozilla from scratch (for the fourth time)...
>     then mozilla started working again.  But, jeeze, it took about 8 man
>     hours over two days to get it working again!
>
>     Our ports system really sucks when it comes to managing very large
>     ports like mozilla.
>
> 						-Matt
> 						Matthew Dillon
> 						<dillon@backplane.com>

I had done a portupgrade -fR previously which is what really bothered
me.  I probably wasted just as much time as you on getting this to work.
  Perhaps in my situation Xft and the rest got build by the massive
upgrade, but fontconfig didn't.  Fortunately it all seems to be working
for the time being.

Aron

--
Aron J. Silverton