Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 21:43:08 +0200
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@tin.it>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   writing a driver for the IBM ultraport camera (USB)

[resending to -multimedia after trying on -hackers]

Hi,

I have got a nifty IBM ultraport camera. It is an USB device that can plug
directly on the lid of IBM laptops.

http://commerce.www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ProductDisplay?cntrfnbr=1&prmenbr=1&prnbr=04P6135&cntry=840&lang=en_US

The only "technical" information in the documentation that comes with the
camera is: IBM UltraPort camera II, USB, VGA. Then it says that the Windows
driver is a TWAIN camera driver.

The Windows device manager puts it under "Imaging devices", without any
detail.

There is a Linux driver at http://www.gutwin.org/cam/source/

I would like to write a driver for FreeBSD, using the Linux driver as a
reference. Since I am new to USB programming, could you give me some hints
on where to start? Is there an existing FreeBSD USB driver in sys/dev/usb
that I can use as a skeleton?

thanks
marco

----- End forwarded message -----