Date:      Thu, 07 Sep 2000 15:44:48 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Todd C. Miller" <Todd.Miller@courtesan.com>, "Vladimir Mencl, MK,     susSED" <mencl@nenya.ms.mff.cuni.cz>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org, security-officer@FreeBSD.org, millert@openbsd.org
Subject:   Re: UNIX locale format string vulnerability (fwd)

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0009071433440.16052-100000@freefall.freebsd.org> Kris Kennaway writes:
: Now, I haven't fully explored to what extent this is possible on FreeBSD -
: I believe the first one is a problem if sudo is used on third party
: applications, but I'm not sure if the second one is, i.e. whether we
: disallow use of '/' in the appropriate locale variables.

We already disallow this.  You can't set your lang to be
../../../../../../etc/master.password, for example.  If the LANG
variable has / in it, it is ignored.  I think that the only one that
needs this restriction.

Warner