Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 00:28:45 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Subject:   Re: fxp0 hangs my AXPpci33

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 01:25:22PM -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> > >I think that the SEEPROM reading might be very timing
> > >dependant... David?  I'm worried that whatever the path in the chipset
> >
> >    It is timing dependant, but the driver inserts more than enough delay
> > by using DELAY(1) for 1us. I think the requirement is much much less than
> > that (< .5us), so if timing really is the problem, then it leads me to wonder
> > if DELAY() might be somewhat broken on Alpha for small delays. A quick way
> > to test for that would be to change the DELAY(1)'s to DELAY(10) or more.
>
> It shouldn't be. It's using the rpcc register to do more precise timing. It
> *used* to be about 30% off, but now should be quite accurate- but it's
> certainly possible. I'll be interested in hearing this.
>
> I forget- is this with 4.0 or with -current/4.1? I seem to recall that this
> source base is a recent source base change even for 4.1- (July 4th).

To add something to the problem I had.
My problem was after changing a 4.0-current system (short time before
4.0-RELEASE) from an axppci33 board to a PC164.
After I got this problems I updated to a recent STABLE and asked on the
alpha list.
Even the original bug was there before the card worked fine with the
axppci33 board. I used it with and with cache installed.
The difference is that my card is older than the 559 - I asume it's a 557.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de