Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 20:51:01 +1000
From:      Michael.Still@ipaustralia.gov.au
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        Doug.Jackson@ipaustralia.gov.au, carl@xena.aipo.gov.au, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell PowerEdge 6300 with 4 Xeon processors ?

--0__=lMgJpNYcRyYtlyFAW49Ohws2Fb2RSOLNdV6q9h70PpXzBFdk7qPZeyYM

To:   "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
cc:   Doug Jackson, carl@xena.aipo.gov.au, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG

Hello.

We run Dell PowerEdge 2300, 4300 and 6300 machines with FreeBSD 3.2 just fine.
You should be aware that the install dies if you have too much RAM, we had to go
down from 2GB to 128 MB when we ran the install CD. You are right to put the
extra memory back in after that.

Also, be aware that the Power Edge Raid Controllers (PERCs), are not supported
by FreeBSD at the time. I have a feeling there is a driver in current, but we
have a policy of only running from release. We use vinum and it flies.

Hot swap PCI is supported by the hardware, but not by the kernel.

These are the only things I can think of, email me if you have any more
questions.

Cheers,
Michael

"Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es> on 28/09/99 08:24:41 pm