Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2012 18:58:09 +0200
From:      Andreas Nilsson <andrnils@gmail.com>
To:        Zoran Kolic <zkolic@sbb.rs>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new desktop box

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Zoran Kolic <zkolic@sbb.rs> wrote:

> Dear list!
> This evening my 7 years old node powers down for it's own sake.
> After a bit of panic, I made a decision to get new box.
> Regarding fast development of hardware, I cannot choose what is
> the correct way to go. For long time I use AMD and would like to
> have another one, but would listen to advice, if proves better
> to have intel. What are features I'd like:
> - to be silent and cold
> - to stay on not-expensive side
> Finally, questions.
> Phenom II 1100 or something else?
> Mobo for said cpu with eth, well working with freebsd?
> Graphical card, silent, that would work with amd64, branch 9?
> No games, nothing fancy. To last next few years. I plan to com-
> pile kernel or two. Half of usage is in console, startx then.
> I will give additional information for my taste, if needed.
> Best regards
>
>                                   Zoran
>
> You did not specify what expensive is to you, nor if you want prebuilt or
if you want to assemble it yourself.

I'd go with Intel today. We just got Dell Vostro 460 desktops, with Intel
core i5-2400 cpu with integrated graphics. Works really good, almost quiet.

You would need to go with 9-stable and use new xorg though, so once X is
started, you would lose console.

The only "bad" thing is perhaps the ethernet, it's some lousy
"RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller"

If you want a few hdds the chassi is not that good.

Regards
Andreas