Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 11:31:39 +0100 (BST)
From:      Sebastien Maraux <smaraux@cpc.westminster.ac.uk>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   EXPORTMFS and net install security

has someone ever tried to use EXPORTMFS ?

I plan to use this to export MFS space via NFS.
I would like to use it to export the files that are needed to be exported
in R/W mode, such as /dev and /var, for my network installation
The server would have a huge swap space, like 2x its RAM add to 20M per
client ( clients are 486, 8MB RAM)
It could avoid having a swap file for each client and simplify the
management of it.

My clients are not real diskless clients, but it's only for 30 minutes,
while I'm installing FreeBSD from the network (home made project).
So It could avoid me to create a swap.IP# file for each station I install.

I only use 3 or 4 file directories in read write mode, so I woulld like to
mount it on a memory system and export the others in read only, so that
my installation would be more secured.

If someone have information on export MFS,vnconfig and using MFS, or a
comment on this strategy that I didn't test yet, please, email me.

Thanks

bye

		Sebastien MARAUX