Date:      Tue, 02 May 2006 12:12:38 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <darren.pilgrim@bitfreak.org>
To:        Peter Klett <peter@netkey.at>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DRI seems to bee broken

Peter Klett wrote:
> Hello CURRENT,
>
> my system has been cvsup'd yesterday, world is approx. 4 weeks old, kernel was
> compiled yesterday. When I try to start X (xorg 6.9.0) my screen gets dark
> and Xorg uses up to 100% cpu. Pressing any key just don't help at all. I can
> log into my box via ssh but cannot kill the process.
>
> If I comment out the module "dri" entry in xorg.conf everything works
> again :-)
>
> An old kernel (1 month old) works with the dri setting. Could it just be
> because world and kernel are out of sync ?

Probably.  Running a kernel and world from seperate source tree
revisions is so problematic that the very first thing anyone will tell
you is to sync your kernel and world, regardless of the question you
asked.  You can (sometimes) get away with it on an errata branch, but
across release versions, on -STABLE and on -CURRENT, you're begging for
an automatic podiatric firearm actuator device.