Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 08:52:57 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        "Henning, Brian" <brian.henning@navitaire.com>
Cc:        " (E-mail)" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: apache - single user mode

> From: "Henning, Brian" <brian.henning@navitaire.com>
> To: " (E-mail)" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: apache - single user mode
> Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 11:51:16 -0500
>
> I am having problems with my apache2 web server. I would like to turn
> it off for now to give me some time to figure out what the problem is.
> My machine hangs on startup with the error: domain name not being
> found. I need to boot into single user mode, so i here is what i am
> going to do.
>
> boot -s
>
> fsck -p
> mount -u /
> mount -a -t /ufs
> swapon -a
>
> my problem is when i get my machine back up. what do i need to do to
> turn apache off so it can boot like normal?

    1) you don't need to flip the switch to get rid of the "cannot find
    my own domain name" message. just hit ^C when it appears.

    2) scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ must meet two conditions to be
    launched at startup:
        1. be executable
        2. their names must end with .sh
    change either of these attributes, and apache won't be started.

--
FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE
8:49AM up 1 day, 14:42, 9 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00