Date:      Wed, 3 Dec 1997 19:25:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu
Cc:        max@wide.ad.jp, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the location of the Handbook and the FAQ

 * Got that and understand, but my proposal is that the handbook/faq
 * should be considered separate entities from FreeBSD--third party
 * ventures if you will.  The fact that they live in the same cvs
 * repository as the FreeBSD core, or a cvs repository at all, is
 * just coincidence and convenience.  Just like any other port, the
 * handbook/faq ports should fetch a tarball of the source, unpack
 * it in the "standard" work subdirectory and install in
 * ${PREFIX}/share/doc.  Giving these special treatment because they
 * live in the FreeBSD cvs repository is more trouble than it is
 * worth, in my humble opinin.

I think you are contradicting yourself here.  You just lined out the
"worth" of having stuff from the local tree. :)

Also, we have quite different views on what these "ports" are.  My
take is that these are just for building packages, and the current
Japanese handbook port works just fine for that.  I only need to go
check to see if PLIST is up to date once in a while.

People who like to build stuff from sources can cvsup doc-all and do a
"make all install" in there.  It's really not any harder than building
the port.

Those who don't want to build from sources use the package, of course. :)

Satoshi