Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 01:40:46 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <tigspok1@home.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD crashed

I know this is a troll but just in case:

  Look Alan, you said you had to re-do your entire hard disk after
it was messed up.  Well I don't recall any posting from you a few days
ago saying that you thought that FreeBSD had damaged your system and
was there any way to save your data before reformatting it all?

  In short, Alan (if your real, that is) you had a problem with FreeBSD
and recognized you had a problem, but rather than go to the support
venue to get assistance, you chose to jump to conclusions and wipe your
disk off.  Now your coming to us blaming us for losing all your data when
it was you that wiped your disk.  Nobody here that I know of gave you
instructions to do this, so why are you blaming us?  How do you know the
data was actually gone and not just hidden somewhere?

  If I ignore all the technical discrepancies and atrocious spelling
here, this almost sounds like an attempted dual-boot installation, with
FreeBSD on one partition and Windows on another.  Well, if this was the
case, your problem may have been nothing more than that the Windows
partition was set inactive, and merely booting with a DOS floppy and running
fdisk and setting the Windows partition back to active may have been all
that was needed to get it running again.

  But, of course you ran off half-cocked, assuming the worst, and
wiped your disk out, and now your crying to the people that could have
helped you if you had come to us before assuming something and
making an ass out of yourself.

  I'd almost believe that if this was a failed dual-boot installation
and as you seem to know nothing about disk partitioning, that you
reinstalled Windows on the FreeBSD partition, and now you have 2 partitions
on the disk, one with your original Windows installation with all the files
and one that's the new one.  But, of course your rambling is so disjointed
that it's impossible to know with certainty what your actually talking about.

  Remember, Email first - THEN bong hits, not the other way round!