Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 14:09:33 -0400
From:      Mathew KANNER <mat@cs.mcgill.ca>
To:        Paul Jansen <vlaero@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network booting?

On Aug 10, Paul Jansen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was reading this article about creating a diskless
> X-terminal.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/diskless-x/article.html
>

> This part specifically:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/diskless-x/x33.html
>
> talks about DOS executable files which you can run to
> then have the system boot off the network. It only
> talks about support for two cards/chipsets.  Can I do
> this somehow with other cards/chipsets?
>
> Is it possible to put the boot-rom code that a vendor
> supplies onto a floppy and boot it from there instead?
>
> Any help on this issue appreciated.

	Not that the manual is out of date but PXE is the prefered way
of doing net-booting.  If you can't use PXE, you should look at
etherboot in the ports, is covers a broader card selection but it
isn't easy.

	--Mat

> Thanks,
> Paul

Mathew Kanner <mat@CS.McGill.CA> Systems Programmer, SOCS McGill University
   Obtuse quote: He [not me] understands: "This field of perception
   is void of perception of man." -- The Quintessence of Buddhism