Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 1995 10:09:58 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OK!  Time out on 4MB issue please!

>Sorry to have aroused so much ire, folks!  But try and see this a
>little bit from my perspective, if you will.  I have seen this demon
>pop up in *every* release since 2.0, to be fought grudgingly back each
>time.  The day will come when we run entirely out of options if we
>keep going on this way, but perhaps I can forestall that for just a
>little while longer with 2.1.  I will try to implement a few of the
>suggestions that folks have sent me over the last few days for
>shrinking the kernel back below 1MB for 2.1.  This should bring the
>4MB folks back.
>
>I will not be anywhere near as sympathetic about this come 2.2 time,
>so I hope that the "small memory" advocates can get the all-singing,
>all-dancing dynamic load/unload device driver mechanism put together
>by then! :-)

Just give us a little more than a few days warning and maybe someone else will
address the issue. Last minute bombshells generate tremendous passion.

db
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25