Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:04:46 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        dennis williamson <dennisw@IPRG.nokia.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.6 problems w/getty reading ports on /dev/ttyv*

dennis williamson wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> I was getting console messages that indicated getty not seeing
> /dev/ttyv[45678].
> Those devices didn't exist, so I created them on FreeBSD 2.2.6 with the
> following command:
>
> cd /dev
> mknod ttyv4 c 12 4
> upto #8.  Now I get the following messages:

That's correct, but why not use MAKEDEV?

cd /dev && sh MAKEDEV vty12

It will run mknod for you, and set the permissions appropriately.

> Apr 18 18:27:42 ntc2 getty[502]: tcsetattr /dev/ttyv4: Inappropriate
> ioctl for device

This is probably due to a lenient umask when you ran mknod. What are the
permissions on /dev/ttyv4? chmod 0600 all of your new vtys and try again.
(MAKEDEV does this automatically).

I don't know what your current setup is, or how feasable it might be for
you, but if possible, you would definitely want to give thought to
upgrading. 2.2.6 is far from active maintenance right now, so security
holes, bugfixes, etc, will probably never be corrected.

> Apr 18 18:27:43 ntc2 getty[506]: tcsetattr /dev/ttyv5: Inappropriate
>
> Not sure what to do.  Please advise.  Thanks in advance.
>
> dennisw

- Ryan