Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 22:59:35 +0100
From:      John Murphy <bigotfo@bigfoot.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /stand/sysinstall - Installing the Ports Dist.

Aaron J. Angel wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Whenever I install the ports distribution, I get the same results no =
matter what time of day:  the download proceeds fine, but after exactly =
245760 bytes, the download drops from speeds around 220KB per second, to =
around 10KB per second.  I'm almost certain this isn't due to my =
connection, because I can download a tarball of the ports directory from =
any ftp site fine.

>Do you have any idea what might be causing the slowdown at the same =
position every time?  Thanks for any help.

The ports collection slows down even when installing from a CDRom.
Perhaps the directory structure takes time to create, though I don't know=
 why.

Many people (inc. me) use dial up connections and _sometimes_ get =
5KBytes/sec.
So I don't know what you're complaining about :-)

(They prefer lines of ~75 columns here)

ATB
John.