Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2018 23:48:24 +0000
From:      Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Few how-it-works questions

On 11/11/2018 14:27, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 11/11/2018 12:34, Grzegorz Junka wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I would like to understand a bit better how the ports infrastructure works.
>>
>> 1. Recommended way of upgrading ports is "poudriere ports -p local -u",
>> right? But this always gets me the latest version, in which some ports
>> may not compile, depending on my luck. I know I can use SVN to checkout
>> a specific version of ports instead, but is it possible to find out in
>> which SVN version which ports are compiling and which are not? In other
>> words, can I open the history of builds of FreeBSD ports on the build
>> servers and check which ports are building in a specific SVN version,
>> then checkout that version to build on my server?
> Firstly ports rarely stay uncompilable for very long.  There are
> exceptions mostly due to situations like the problems with openssl-1.1.1
> support at the moment.  So there are some additional strategies to apply:

Matthew, thank you for your comprehensive response. Just to be clear, I
wasn't complaining about the ports tree being broken from time to time.
It's understandable as it's being constantly updated. I just got caught
in between renaming ImageMagick to ImageMagick6 and updating some ports
to use ImageMagick7. As a result some ports didn't built reporting
strange build errors. But another update one day later and the strange
errors are gone.

Since it's hardly an exception (flavours or renaming kde to kde4 are
other examples), I take there must be periods when the ports tree is
more stable in between those bigger updates and was trying to find a
strategy to determine those stable periods as a base for updating my
ports tree.

Waiting, changing versions or options are good suggestions but these are
reactive approaches. I would prefer a more proactive approach, i.e. not
have to spend time on building a broken tree and then trying to fix it
myself (unless there is no other option) but rather update my port tree
when I know it's stable, and so the idea of being able to check it out
in between those bigger updates. I will check the URLs and poudriere
options you suggested.

As a side note, is it known in advance and announced anywhere that those
bigger, potentially breaking changes are being applied to the port so
that someone can plan to update beforehand or wait until the storm is over?

Thanks

GrzegorzJ