Date:      Sun, 03 Mar 2002 19:28:59 EST
From:      higgsr@rpi.edu
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: STABLE vs. CURRENT for laptops

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=254419+0+current/freebsd-mobile

> > I'm having problems with my Dell Inspiron 4100 with a Dell TrueMobile
> (in
> > fact an Orinoco Gold)  Mini-PCI card. I am wondering whether or not it
> > will help to use 5.0-CURRENT instead of 4.5-STABLE as I am now - is
> there
> > any new features in 5.0 which could make life with a laptop better or
> > easier?
> >
> > In particular I am thinking of features like:
> >
> > - being able to fetch the battery status
> > - after being in standby mode, sound will still work
> > - a remote possibility for my wireless NIC to work again
>
> I just received my inspirion 4100 with that mini pci card a few days ago.

> I also though that current was a nice idea for laptops and installed it,
> but threw it right off the disk again. Here's why: Every 10 seconds or
> so, the machine seemed to hang for one or two seconds. When that happened

> while you were typing, a few chars just got lost. Especially annoying
> when typing passwords.
> And I had also considerable problems when building ports, the first few
> succeeded, but then when I tried to build portupgrade, it hung again
> during configure and that was it.
>
> Granted, this was my first attempt in using current, but I figured that I

> am better off with stable.

-current is going through massive changes.  They are implementing smp
(which leads to adventures with cpu scheduling, memory management, etc)
along with all of the other things like NEWCARD.  -Current is not very
friendly to a machine that requires reliability.  Check out -arch or

http://www.freebsd.org/smp/

for more info.

> As for the TrueMobile card, I am not that far with installing my system.
> That card looks like a carbus card, which would mean that there is no go
> with stable. I also read somewhere that cardbus support will most likely
> not be integrated into the 4.x branch. But I found this:
>
> http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/163/2001/7/0/6285797/
>
> I don't really know what to make of this... could mean the card works
> anyway.
>
> Anyone (John Hay?) got that card working? Is it even possible?
>
> greets, Tobe

Ray Higgs