Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 17:17:25 +1100
From:      "Andrew Cowan" <andrew.cowan@hsd.com.au>
To:        "Trevor Osatchuk" <fybar@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: more: vpn from behind firewall

  ______       _________                ________
 |my    |     | firewall|              |my home |
 |laptop|-----| on ski  |------WWW-----|firewall|--- Home Network
 |______|     |__hill___|              |________|

  (ssh)                                   sshd
  putty

Under putty connection configuration -> Connection -> ssh -> tunnels

Source port = 110
Destination = <home network popserver:port>
		(could be gateway or another server)
            = 192.168.1.X:110
            = 127.0.0.1:110

And add local forwarded port..

Save the connection settings and connect...

Configure notebook mail client to connect to popserver address of 127.0.0.1

ie.  The mail client is connecting to putty which forwards the port to the
bsd sshd, that then proxies the connection.

If notebook is running ssh then it can be run with:
"-L listen-port:host:port   Forward local port to remote address"

etc..

You can forward as many ports as you need to, so you can handle two port
services such as pcanywhere.

Sorry, its a bit brief - ask me if you need more info (hope it is all
accurate)
Could not remember any websites that describe this..
Maybe it could be added to the bsd handbook :)

Cheers,
Andrew Cowan