Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 18:08:00 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Greg Smith" <gregsmith59@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA ATA HD's under FreeeBSD 4.1R

In message <F230i89QtpfTYSl1q4g000010eb@hotmail.com> "Greg Smith" writes:
: 2)  I can power down (pccardc power 1 0) this drive without unmounting.
: unmounting afterwards causes panic fatal trap 12 (supervisor read, page not
: found)

Don't do that. :-)  It currently isn't supported.  It should be, but
not in the way you think.  When the drive goes away, it is gone and
the umounting shouldn't cause a panic, but should issue a warning that
the underlying device is gon.

: Number 1 is an inconvenience, and it would be nice to alter some settings
: somewhere to speed up the process since the machine seems to be locked up
: during the interval.

The problem is that some ata devices lie and say there are two devices
when in fact there's only one.  Soren tried to fix this, but there
were some problems he ran into and backed it out.

: Number 2, however, has me a little worried.  This
: suggests that pccardc/d do not interact with the file system.  That would
: imply that any uncommitted writes would not be flushed to the drive before
: the drive is powered down.  [Please excuse my ignorance if Unix does not
: have the concept of delayed writes.]

Generally speaking, pccard shouldn't interact with the file system.
It shouldn't sneak its tendrils into that if it can be avoided.  The
basic problem is that there's no way of knowing if you've reinserted
the same disk, or disk that is similar.  If you've inserted the same
disk, then it should flush.  If you haven't, then it shouldn't.  The
disk subsystem has no way of knowing, for sure, which is which.

ata should refuse to write, in a manner similar to CAM, the disk
blocks when the drive goes away.  CAM has an advantage over the ata
pccard stuff.  The SCSI drives do have serial numbers.  ata flash
don't appear to, and in any event it doesn't look like hot plug
concents are in the ata drivers (I could be wrong, but that's what it
appears).  I've not looked into this problem since I'm not the ata
driver maintainer and I've been focused on NEWCARD.

: 9:47:11 ata2-slave: ata_command: timeout waiting for intr
: 9:47:11 ata2-slave: identify failed

This is where the controller is lying to the OS, or there's an OS
bug.  Soren thinks that the device is lying to the driver.  He's
suggested a flag that says "don't probe slave" or "don't probe master"
despite what the device claims.  He may be right in our needing this.

Warner