Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 1997 08:22:18 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Christian" <PLAZAS_CHRISTIAN@COLSTATE.EDU>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Newsletter

[Cc'd to doc as the answer is of general interest]

> Hi Jordan,
>
> I've been thinking about perhaps writing an article or two for the FreeBSD
> newsletter,  and I was wondering if you have a list of things that you would
> like to see written about.  That way I could look at the list and find one or
> two things that I am reasonably knowledgeable about and write on them.

OK, great, that's the spirit we like to see! :-)

The first issue of the newsletter just went out, in fact, with the
first 20,000 copies going to Walnut Creek CDROM's FreeBSD mailing list
and to those who registered with http://www.freebsd.org/register.html.
Now's a good time to start getting articles together for the next
issue, I'd say! :)

As far as ideas go, we had an idea list we were knocking around for
the first issue and I'd say it's still largely apropos for any future
issues, so here it is (this list of ideas comes from Bob Bruce,
owner/pres of Walnut Creek CDROM):

Ideas for articles in the FreeBSD Newsletter
*  An article comparing FreeBSD to other OS's, or unique features

     A comparison of FreeBSD and Linux
     A comparison of FreeBSD and Solaris
     A comparison of FreeBSD and BSDI
     A comparison of FreeBSD and NetBSD
     A comparison of FreeBSD and Windows-NT

*  An article about kernel internals

    Each issue should try to have an article the explains some section of
    the kernel.
    -- VM system
    -- Filesytem -- Comparison of FFS vs LFS
    -- How to write a device driver

*  An article about application programming with some working code

   -- Programming with POSIX threads
   -- Programming with sockets
   -- Programming with mapped files
   -- How to use GDB to debug your program
   -- How to use gprof to profile and optimize your program
   -- Porting a program to FreeBSD.  What are the most likely porting problems
       and how to fix them
   -- Using Gnu "Configure" to make your programs portable

*  An article answering a common tech support problem

   --  Installing FreeBSD -- common problems, and how to work around them
   --  Setting up X Windows
   --  Coping with media failures.
*  A corporate or individual profile or interview

     An article about an organization using FreeBSD for an interesting or
     innovative application.  Or an interview of a FreeBSD developer and
     the projects under development.

*   An article about System Administration

  --  Using FreeBSD as a Webserver
  --  Using FreeBSD as a Firewall
  --  Using FreeBSD as a Database server
  --  How to do reliable backups on FreeBSD
  --  How to add a new user
  --  How to set up a nameserver
  --  How to add a new machine to your network
  --  How to set up a newsserver
  --  How to find security problems on your system
  --  How to set up an ftp server
  --  How to use mirror
  --  How to find and fix your systems bottlenecks
  --  Duties of a postmaster, how to configure sendmail
  --  How to install and use Netscape
  --  "       "      "      Gcc
  --  "       "      "      Postgres
  --  "       "      "      Emacs
  --  "       "      "      Apache
  --  "       "      "      ????

*    A cheat sheet or tutorial

   Each issue could contain a short "cheat sheet" similar to the
   "quick reference guides" published by SSC.  These would be something
   that would make people keep old issues, and maybe cut out and laminate
   or tape up on the wall next to their monitor.

   -- sed/ed/vi/perl regular expressions
   -- standard emacs key bindings
   -- vi
   -- shell programming
   -- tcsh
   -- perl regex, file flags and command line options
   -- Standard C library, C operator precedence
   -- gdb
   -- standard Java classes
   -- HTML tags

*  An article about freeware

      -- features of the latest gcc
      -- msql vs. postgres95
      -- The latest cool new freeware package
      -- Making a Rockridge CDROM using mkisofs

*  A review of a couple really useful websites

     The FreeBSD Website
     Other FreeBSD related websites
     Websites with resources for programmers, and system administrators

*  A brief synopsis of a Unix utility or an interesting Shell script

   -- perl one liners
   -- shell programming
   -- regular expressions

*  Reviews of new books, hardware or commercial software

   Books:
          -- The "4.4 BSD Internals" book
          -- Greg Lehey's thick book
          -- ???

   Hardware:
          -- New DVD drives that work with FreeBSD
          -- List of vendors that supply FreeBSD capable hardware
          -- ???