Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 2002 04:30:41 -0400
From:      Steve Brown <freebsd@prayforwind.com>
To:        "Gerald A. Speak" <gaspeak@sampson.gaspeak-p-va.prestige.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: .ogg audio files

> xmms, from the ports can play .ogg files as can ogg123 from the
> 'vorbis-tools' port.

So the key word is "vorbis", thanks. Ok, I'd like to get xmms. But I see that
it depends on other packages newer than what I have. For example, it wants
pkgconfig-0.11.0_1,  I have pkgconfig-0.8.0 . I have lots of stuff depending
on pkgconfig-0.8.0, so if I make install xmms, willl it break all these
app's?

How should this be handled? I guess I don't really understand what's
happening when I add software, I've read just about everything I could find,
I seem to be missing something cause it doesn't help. pkg_deleting everything
and re-installing it won't help; I see that lots of the stuff I'm using still
depends on pkgconfig-0.8.0 for example.