Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 2004 00:35:05 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apache port broken for 4.10 RELEASE?

On Monday 05 July 2004 11:33 pm, freebsd-stable@auscert.org.au wrote:
> Thanks Kent (and Phil and Udo).
>
> I have a couple of questions though.
>
> If 2.0.49 apache is broken in 4.10 release (install +ports), why do
> the MD5 sums exist in distinfo for this particular version at all
> (rather than just a simple "not supported for this release" error)

Well, you are some what  expected to follow the port tree. Ports in the
releases get old quickly. A port that is used as much as Apache is will
never stay broken for long.

I went back through the Makefiles and didn't find the broken message
about libtool. I think I stopped before I got to where 4.10 was
released.

The only mention of broken in the Makefile.doc was when slave ports are
out of sync. Are your apache dependancies up todate?

What is your date on /usr/ports/INDEX?

> and
>
> What benefit is there (apart from FreeBSD-friendly install paths) to
> installing the port over than building from the standard sources
> anyway, which I usually do and have done already with this
> combination or 4.10 and 2.0.49? And, I guess, why does it build
> successfully this way anyway?

There are a fairly large number of patches in apache2/files to make it
work on FreeBSD.

Kent