Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2024 00:21:37 -0400
From:      Paul Procacci <pprocacci@gmail.com>
To:        Lexi Winter <lexi@le-fay.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ixl(4) bhyve(8) SR-IOV with Transparent VLAN associated w/ VF's

--000000000000efee1906167f8a9a

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 10:04=E2=80=AFPM Lexi Winter <lexi@le-fay.org> wrot=
e:

> Paul Procacci:
> > I'm assigning VF's to bhyve with pci passthru.
> [...]
> > Given this, I figured the best option would be to set the VLAN on the V=
> on
> > the host prior to handing it off to the bhyve instance effectively
> enabling
> > transparent vlans.
> [...]
> > Has anyone done this?  Does anyone have any pointers to accomplish this=
?

> i looked into this a while ago and concluded that it's not supported, at
> least on Intel cards.
>
> my recollection is that someone was working on this at one point, but
> never finished it -- unfortunately, i can't remember who that was...
>
> you may be able to work around this by running vlan(4) on the VF on the
> host instead of passing the interface to the guest, but then you lose
> most of the benefits of using SR-IOV to begin with.  i have run into
> some odd bugs with both SR-IOV and vlan(4) on ixgbe cards and would
> definitely recommend testing that thoroughly before deploying it.

That's a real bummer.   You'd think this would be kinda a thing considering
the security implications.

Welp, Thanks for writing back Lexi!

~Paul

--=20
__________________

:(){ :|:& };:

--000000000000efee1906167f8a9a

ote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 10:04=E2=
=80=AFPM Lexi Winter &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:lexi@le-fay.org">lexi@le-fay.org=
0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">=
Paul Procacci:<br>
&gt; I&#39;m assigning VF&#39;s to bhyve with pci passthru.<br>
[...]<br>
&gt; Given this, I figured the best option would be to set the VLAN on the =
VF on<br>
&gt; the host prior to handing it off to the bhyve instance effectively ena=
bling<br>
&gt; transparent vlans.<br>
[...]<br>
&gt; Has anyone done this?=C2=A0 Does anyone have any pointers to accomplis=
h this?<br>
i looked into this a while ago and concluded that it&#39;s not supported, a=
t<br>
least on Intel cards.<br>
my recollection is that someone was working on this at one point, but<br>
never finished it -- unfortunately, i can&#39;t remember who that was...<br=

you may be able to work around this by running vlan(4) on the VF on the<br>
host instead of passing the interface to the guest, but then you lose<br>
most of the benefits of using SR-IOV to begin with.=C2=A0 i have run into<b=
r>
some odd bugs with both SR-IOV and vlan(4) on ixgbe cards and would<br>
definitely recommend testing that thoroughly before deploying it.<br>
That&#39;s a real bummer.=C2=A0=C2=A0 You&#39;d think this would be kinda a=
ass=3D"gmail_signature_prefix">-- </span><br><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmai=

--000000000000efee1906167f8a9a--