Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 07:53:00 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on a Mac

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 06:45:41PM -0500, David Kelly wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 August 2002 04:17 pm, Derrick MacPherson wrote:
> > > If there is any feature I'd like for FreeBSD to have is Apple's
> > > Aqua.
> >
> > Yeah, it's a nice interface, I find it gets more annoying after time
> > though. To be honest, my fave interface to any unix I have used so
> > far is 4Dwm from SGI. There was a few attempts at creating Aqua for
> > Linux, but Apple asked them to stop working on it. Short sighted I
> > would think, but what else is new?
>
> I too miss the simple and clean 4Dwm.
>
> But its not just the look of Aqua I desire for FreeBSD, but the whole
> shooting match behind it. If FreeBSD had that then all MacOS X
> applications should be as easy or easier to port to FreeBSD than Linux
> apps are today.

In theory, the GNUstep project (http://www.gnustep.org/, ports:
devel/gnustep) should provide an object compatible development system.
Ideally this would allow a MacOS X application to be ported by a
simple re-compile.  The interface looks a lot more like Nextstep 3.3
rather than Aqua, but that's no bad thing IMHO.

This is a project that was started well before the NeXT/Apple merger
and has been making slow progress ever since.  Conceptually it has a
lot in common with Gnome and KDE, but the use of Objective C/Java
rather than C++ as the core languages should mean that the footprint
on the system is a lot smaller.

> And Apple would have a state of the art x86 platform.

Apple would love the idea that there are a multiplicity of platforms
available to encourage developers to write applications that will be
available on MacOS X, and would hate the competition for hardware
sales.  Considering the relative contributions of hardware to OS sales
to the Apple's overall balance sheet, you can guess which view will
win out.

This is getting OT for -questions: a move to -chat seems like a good
idea to me.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way