Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2012 00:12:44 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Chris Rees <crees@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>, "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@juniper.net>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [CFT/RFC]: refactor bsd.prog.mk to understand multiple programs instead of a singular program
References:  <CAGH67wRkOmy7rWLkxXnT2155PuSQpwOMyu7dTAKeO1WW2dju7g@mail.gmail.com> <201210020750.23358.jhb@freebsd.org> <CAGH67wTM1VDrpu7rS=VE1G_kVEOHhS4-OCy5FX_6eDGmiNTA8A@mail.gmail.com> <201210021037.27762.jhb@freebsd.org> <CAGH67wQffjVHqFw_eN=mfeg-Ac2Z6XBT5Hv72ev0kjjx7YH7SA@mail.gmail.com> <127FA63D-8EEE-4616-AE1E-C39469DDCC6A@xcllnt.net> <20121025211522.GA32636@dragon.NUXI.org> <3F52B7C9-A7B7-4E0E-87D0-1E67FE5D0BA7@xcllnt.net> <CAGH67wRw_n2_KwVz=DZkMpeJ4t8mMf965nxehHsDV-mzTnn5cA@mail.gmail.com> <CADLo839EUTF9bP8VD3L1_boY8i-w8B87yHGRR7Zx6wONFnSnEQ@mail.gmail.com>

--c7hkjup166d4FzgN

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 11:01:27PM +0100, Chris Rees wrote:
> On 25 October 2012 22:32, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net> w=
rote:

> >> I think there are 2 reasons why not to:
> >>
> >> 1.  The people working on ATF have not raised this concern and
> >>     have expressed that using the WITH_BMAKE knob is but a small
> >>     price to pay. So let's work the bmake side and be able to
> >>     get rid of the knob as soon as possible.
> >
> > It is annoying with the magnitude of build-related errors, but I have
> > a workaround.
> >
> >> 2.  More knobs isn't better -- we must have none of the knobs in
> >>     the end, so the more we create, the more work we have to get
> >>     rid of them. That's just more work spent not focusing on the
> >>     task at hand and thus more time wasted.
> >
> > Yes, but not being able to update one's machine makes me sad panda.
> >
> >> In short: this isn't a 2-knob problem by any stretch of the
> >> imagination.
> >
> > The real issue is that I need to take the patch Simon developed, run
> > with it, and in parallel he needs to -- and hopefully already is --
> > engage portmgr to get it through a number of exp- runs to make sure
> > bmake does what it's supposed to do with his patch. Backwards
> > compatibility will need to be maintained for ports because ports has
> > to work on multiple versions of FreeBSD [where bmake isn't yet
> > available/present], so maybe a fork in the road for bsd.port.mk should
> > be devised in order to make everything work.
>=20
> Now you've terrified me, and probably most other ports people too.
>=20
> Is there a Wiki page where the actual benefits of moving to bmake are
> made clear?  This is a major, *major* upheaval, and having two
> versions of bsd.port.mk for years is simply not an option.
>=20
Not much test has been done on the ports tree about it, from what I have te=
sted
so far, except from the :tu :tl difference the ports seems to work ootb with
both bmake and make, I asked obrien to MFC the support for :tl :tu in make(=
all available platform which he did.

Do be able to get the ports tree working with bmake asap, I also asked him =
MFC it to 9.1, from latest reply he got positive answer from re@ about this=
, but
was waiting for something I don't remember.

regards,
Bapt

--c7hkjup166d4FzgN

--c7hkjup166d4FzgN--