Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 10:49:42 +1100
From:      "Joe Shevland" <joe.shevland@horizonti.com>
To:        "Michael Bergknoff" <berg@platsol.com>, <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>, <pantzer@ludd.luth.se>
Subject:   Re: Security exception

----------
> From: Michael Bergknoff <berg@platsol.com>
> To: freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG; pantzer@ludd.luth.se
> Subject: Re: Security exception
> Date: Tuesday, 24 February 1998 10:14
>
> >I do hope that you know that a applet can connect only to the host that it was
> >loaded from. To me it looks like the applet viewer is doing it's job.
> >

> I thought that if the applet was loaded from the local file system
> it might be different or that there may be configuration options
> available to control the security manager.

You're right; there is a parameter in the appletviewer's configuration
that can negate the sandbox security model, allowing network connections
to others machines to be made. I'd say more, but I've never used it...

> >Did you use the same version of the appletviewer on all platforms?
>
> I was wrong about it running on Solaris. It gets an exception there also.
> I have seen it work okay on Windows NT using the appletviewer from
> Symantec Visual Cafe. I have also seen it work okay loaded from
> Netscape (from a local file) using Suns activator product, also on NT.

Cafe probably also disables this setting for development (although if you
didn't turn it off, that's odd. It should default to using the security
model). I noticed your use of 'non-gui applet' before... anything that
is run by the command-line 'java' is an application and not subject
to security barriers i.e. are you sure you're only trying applets?
(public TestClass extends java.applet.Applet?)

And nothing would surprise me on NT (I'd personally steer clear of
any M$ platform for Java development, not only for technical reasons,
but also because of their stance on the Java platform in general).

Joe Shevland - Horizon Technologies International

Email:      joe.shevland@horizonti.com

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking
at the stars - Oscar Wilde