Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 15:07:38 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OT: Cooling CPUs (Was: the AMD factor in FreeBSD)

Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org> types:
> On 2001-04-19, Mike Meyer scribbled:
> # Cooling has always been a serious problem for high-end CPUs. Cray was
> # a better cooling system than CPU designer.  When his cooling systems
> # failed, the solder in the box melted. I'm pretty sure he was also the
> # first person to build a liquid-cooled CPU - and he did it in
> # commercial quantities.
> Cray in the last several years have always used third-party processors
> and sub-components (like MIPS and Alpha processors).

My bad - I almost said "Seymour Cray", and should have, as I was
talking about the person, not the company. The company merged with (or
was bought by) SGI in 1996. SGI also bought MIPS, which might explain
the companies predilictions for SGI processors since. Seymour Cray
didn't do much with the MP machines.

	<mike